Monday 27 May 2013

Creativity


How creative have you been in your AS and A2 productions?

At AS the task was to design a music magazine cover, contents page and double page spread. I created a music magazine that was targeted at people aged 16-25. The magazine had an indie/electro genre that is known to be popular with young people. I chose to have a three piece girl band on the cover that were styled and photographed by myself.

 Some constraints were applied to this task. For example, we had no budget for photographing the band/artist and time constraints applied when we had deadlines to meet. These constraints hindered me slightly when carrying out the magazine construction and editing, however without these rules (such as deadlines) my work would have been disorganised.

I was told the task had to be a music magazine but I was able to be creative and independent when choosing the genre. I stuck to the genre of electro/indie music magazine all the way through the task in order to sustain a cohesive end product. As this task was the first task set (apart from a preliminary task), my skills using photoshop when editing really improved and I was able to show my creativity with the placement of the text on the magazine, the article subject, colours used and who was actually on the cover.

In my opinion, I worked more creatively at A2 when making a music video, digipak and advert. This might be due to that fact my skills and knowledge of the subject have become more advance therefore I could allow myself to think more creatively.

Similarly to the AS I had some constraints, one being that I had no budget and strict timings for filming depending on who was available and when. This was difficult but did not necessarily hinder my opportunities for creativeness or to do well on the task. Because I still managed to chose the genre of the song, style of the band, placing of and layout of text and pictures on digipak/advert and colour scheme. Another constraint was that we specifically had to make a music video and the band or artist had to lipsync. Again, this was not a problem because I worked collaboratively with a partner and we chose to have a dance genre song with a lot of singing.

Some aspects of being creative involved challenging our ideas or being challenged. Sometimes when working collaboratively there are clashes of ideas, especially when it came to editing the music video. However, once these ideas were shared and adressed we could come up with creative solutions.  Using our imagination and coming up with something interesting and original was important for our music video. We challenged ourselves by having a simplistic/minimal theme for a dance genre song which actually worked well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment